ABM Research Reports
2013 ABM Managing Profits 2.0 Report
"Brave New B-To-B: Managing Profits in a Changing Media Industry" is ABM's research on the expenses, revenues and operations of b-to-b media and information companies. Based on deep financial and logistics data contributed by members, the report consists of anonymously aggregated benchmarks that allow companies to check their own performace against industry standards, both company-wide and for print, digital and event brands.
The full results are available to all members, but those who contribute data receive special consideration and benefits. The full 2013 report will be released June 1, 2013. That most recent report was presented at ABM's 2013 Annual Conference. The presentation deck and a video of that presentation are available below:
- May 7, 2013 - Presentation deck from 2013 Managing Profits 2.0 presentation
- April 29, 2013 - Link to full video of the 2013 Managing Profits 2.0 presentation
Members must be logged in to click the following link and download the 2012 report:
- June 4, 2012 - 2012 ABM Managing Profits Report, version 1.0
For older coverage of Managing Profits analysis and news, visit the following articles:
- June 21, 2012 - Digital and conference revenues key to B2B's future, an analytical blog post by Vital Business Media CEO Prescott Shibles.
- June 19, 2012 - For event takeaways from Managing Profits that were released at the Expo Next show in Baltimore, download this pdf.
- June 6, 2012 - Asking for the family jewels: The value of ABM's 2012 Managing Profits Report
- May 29, 2012 - ABM research: Three hallmarks of successful event brands
- April 23, 2012 - Event profits rise when events are your primary business, research shows
2013 Value of Business-to-Business Research
ABM launched a research project in 2013 to quantify the value of trade media in facilitating the buyer-seller relationship. A formal PDF report on the research results will be coming June 1, 2012. For more, consult the following links:
- May 7, 2013 - The slide deck from that presentation
- April 30, 2013 - A link to a video of the presentation at ABM's Annual Conference
2012 Mobile Content and Delivery Research
In partnership with research firm Outsell Inc., ABM has conducted a wide-ranging survey on mobile content, delivery and trends. For results, analysis and more information, please follow these links:
- Oct. 26, 2012 - A blog post by Chuck Richard of Outsell offers key insights: Focus Drives Early Stage B2B Trade Publishing Mobile Success
- Oct. 23, 2012 - The results were presented at ABM's Executive Forum conference and briefly detailed in this ABM news report: At Executive Forum, new research on mobile content reveals evolving strategies.
- Oct. 22, 2012 - The presentation deck from the conference session is also available as a PDF download: Anytime, Anywhere: Mobile Benchmarks and Directions for B-to-B.
- Feb. 28, 2012 - ABM conducted a seperate poll on The importance of tablet content in February 2012.
2012 Healthcare Benefits Survey
ABM's Talent Management Committee has conducted a broad survey of healthcare benefits and trends at b-to-b media companies. The wide-ranging, 50-page report covers topics including how frequently media firms change plan providers to insurance options offered to spousal coverage and wellness programs. The research also offers benchmarking data on plan costs, coverage specifics, prescription benefits and more. For more information, consult the following links:
- Sept. 4, 2012 - Smaller media companies contain healthcare costs better than big ones do
- Aug. 22, 2012 - 2012 Healthcare Benefits Survey (members-only PDF)
- Aug. 22, 2012 - ABM news report: B-to-B media companies are keeping healthcare costs down
2012 Agri Council/Readex Media Channel Study
ABM's Agri Council conducts ongoing research on the effectiveness of traditional and digital media channels that serve the agricultural industry. The research also considers digital trends and how digital media may affect the future use of traditional media in the ag community. A version of the research is available to the general public, and deeper implications are included in a members-only version. For more information, consult the following links:
- June 27, 2012 - ABM news report: Print remains primary info source for agri, but digital growing fast
- June 19, 2012 - Webinar Archive: Key Findings from 2012 Agri Media Channel Study
- April 18, 2012 - 2012 Media Channel Study (public PDF)
- April 18, 2012 - 2012 Media Channel Study (members-only Powerpoint with implications)
2011 ABM/MPA Compensation Survey
The American Business Media / Magazine Publishers of America Compensation Survey Report is updated annually in partnership with Towers Watson. Including data from about 50 companies and 7,400 employees in 175 job titles, the survey reveals the latest compensation trends for media professionals, including actual dollar values for average and mean compensation for every job title. The report is only available to members who have contributed data. To participate, contact ABM Research and Content Director Michael Moran Alterio via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-784-6365.
For ABM coverage of compensation survey analysis and news, visit the following articles:
- Feb. 7, 2012 - B-To-B Media Salaries Forecast To Rise 3 Percent In 2012
- Jan. 9, 2012 - 2011 ABM/MPA media compensation survey released
2011 ABM Member Marketing Services Survey
2011 Editorial Survey
2010 State of the B-to-B Industry Report
2010 ABM/ANA/Booz Study: B2B Marketing Leadership
2010 Medical Advertising Research (conducted by Kantar Health)